- This event has passed.
A Celebration of the GX Project
November 11 @ 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
About this Event
Over the past two years the GX Project, a legacy project from the Great Exhibition of the North, has helped over 170 SMEs across the North East drive forward new innovations in their business through its 3 main project strands; Collaboration (With Universities), Connections (And Showcasing at Events) and Challenges (Set by Corporates). It has also provided Innovation Grants to nearly 30 companies across the region.
The afternoon will start with a networking lunch where you can meet SMEs, corporates and innovation support organisations from across the region.
Following this, Helena Hill will welcome delegates and facilitate the afternoon which begins with two key speakers to set the scene for GX and the innovation landscape in the North East:
– Professor Roy Sandbach OBE, Professor of Practice in Ageing Science & Innovation, will discuss how innovation can thrive through collaboration between Universities, Businesses, Government.
– Carol Bell OBE, Director of Major Events and Festivals at NGI, will talk about how large-scale events like the Great Exhibition of the North can act as a catalyst for Innovation
We will then hear from some of the companies that have developed innovative products or processes with support from GX Project, as well as the journey the innovation has taken since its inception. Companies joining this session include:
- Little Inventors – Suzy O’Hara
- MAADIGITAL – Colin Kelly
- Siemens – Ian Lloyd
- Drone Lab – Ben Mawhinney
- Blocknorth – Mike Watson
- So To Company – Katharine Paterson
- Walker Subsea – Vahid Walker
- Space VR – Jeremy Ramsay
Finally, Alan Welby, Innovation Director at the North East LEP, will discuss the North East innovation ecosystem, its place in the the industrial strategy and the future of innovation funding in the region.
The event will round up with refreshments and networking, as well as an opportunity to see more of the innovations from companies across the region, and to meet organisations providing further innovation support to companies.
The event is completely free, but places are limited, so please sign up soon to join this unique event.