FIRST is a skills provider, on a mission to connect young people, startups and professionals to their wider business community. Celebrating a record year in 2018-19 (doubling turnover and a 39% uplift in profit) FIRST was established in 2014, has 5 full time staff and is based in Gateshead International Business Centre, Tyne and Wear UK. FIRST consists of a private company (FIRST Face to Face Ltd), and a social enterprise (FIRST Breakthrough CIC). We have 3 core services:
- FIRST Startup – enterprise skill development through workshops, residentials, competitions and business accelerator programmes
- FIRST Breakthrough – a youth led matching service connecting 14 – 30 year olds to work experience, jobs, training and qualifications
- FIRST Face to Face – an online events resource and networking event management consultancy
The North East has the lowest startup business rates and the highest youth unemployment rates in the country. This is matched with talented young people leaving the region because they believe there are no jobs or, they are finishing education without the necessary business skills to get a job or become self-employed.
To solve this problem, FIRST works with local government, education and businesses to connect young people and startups to opportunities that develop their confidence, contacts, build experience and ultimately grow the North East economy. We are proud to say that 95% of young people rate our service as good or excellent and 76% of businesses would employ the students we place in their business.
WE ARE HIRING!
FIRST are looking for a Project Worker to join their team in Gateshead International Business Centre. The opportunity is for a full time, permanent contract upon passing a successful probation period of 3 months.
We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic self-starter who is eager to learn and has high communication, attention to detail and organisation skills to manage a variety of projects and educational programmes including:
- Setting up and attending planning meetings to determine project requirements
- Assisting the Education Coordinator (EC) in the drafting of project proposals, budgets, cash flows and preliminary schedules
- Attending networking events, developing contacts and marketing the projects both on and offlinE
- Planning creative skill development sessions and workshops to engage young people in enterprise and employability
- Being the first port of call for all young people who come into contact with FIRST and ensure they are signposted to appropriate opportunities
- Assisting in the development and delivery of engaging sessions linked to the personal development of participants.
- Tracking the progress and quality of work being performed by participants throughout the lifecycle of the projects
- The use of project management tools to record plans, work hours, budgets and expenditures
- The creation of new cross-sector partnerships to provide opportunities for young people and start-up businesses to develop their enterprise skills.
- Sourcing and managing relevant opportunities such as sponsorship, mentoring, workshop delivery and community involvement
- Undertaking appropriate administration duties and assist the EC to ensure the smooth delivery of projects
- Preparing substantial completion reports and ensure all required project feedback documents are obtained
- Ensuring that all participants have clear progression routes after engaging in the projects
- Liaising with the EC to seek enhanced funding for the project via sponsorship, grant applications and securing stakeholder contributions to ensure the long-term sustainability of projects.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum of 1-2 years’ experience in full time project delivery either in employability or skill development programmes
- Ability to adapt resources and delivery methods for young people aged 11 – 25 with diverse needs
- Outstanding communication skills including verbal, written and presentation skills
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Strong multitasking and organisational skills
- Driving licence
- Fun, positive attitude
- Enjoys working with young people
- Central location – 15 minutes’ walk from Newcastle city centre
- Flexible work hours (performance based)
- Fun, sociable office!
- Opportunities to travel to events across the North East & beyond
- Opportunities for continual continued professional development (CPD) through internal and external training and skill sharing
Salary £18,000 – £20,000: dependant on experience & skills. The position is full time, 35 hours a week. Office hours are 9am – 5pm and the position will be based in Gateshead and North Tyneside. Time off in lieu may be taken with the approval of the EC. Holiday entitlement will initially be 28 days per annum, this includes statutory/bank holidays. Successful candidates will be requested to apply for an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
START DATE: immediate
TO APPLY PLEASE FILL OUT THIS APPLICATION FORM: Deadline for applications was 31st July, 2019